Sunday, August 26, 2012

MIC: Just a few colors


I'm running a little late with my post for the Make It Crafty blog today. Sorry!  I wanted to share some great coloring tips that I've learned recently, especially if you only have a few colors of Copics.  Zoe has published three amazing E-books you have to check out.  I used tips from the Shading with a Light Source book for this post.  I've been taking the Created from Color Basic class with Melissa and Kristy.  These girls are amazing and I've been learning so much.  I would totally recommend their class.  I used the single color shading technique that they taught for my project today.

I'm in love with the new 60's girls - aren't they the best?  Melody would have really intimidated me because of the flowers all over her dress - how would I possibly get the shading right with all those little bits.  I started by coloring the image with one smooth layer of the colors that I wanted for each part.  You can see my color list on the left side.



I like the colors, but there is not much depth.  I used two techniques to get depth in the image.  For her skin and hair, I let the ink completely dry and then added additional layers for shadow with the same color marker.  Just remember to let the ink dry before you add the next layer.  For the dress, boots, and pillow, I used the shading with gray from Zoe's Shading with a Light Source E-Book.  I used the warm greys since I was using warm colors.  After adding the grey shading, I colored over the image again with a layer of the color I wanted.  



Since I'd used a lot of ink and I wasn't always as neat as I should have been, I fussy cut the image before putting it on the card. I used pop dots to make the image stand up above the card.


Supplies
Copics

Happy Crafting!

post signature

3 comments:

Alyce Kit and Clowder said...

Too cute!!! I love her Jen! Snazzy colouring and she looks so cute on that pillow :)

Stef H said...

wow fabulous! love the image and love the darker one. you sure have it down pat!!!!

hugs :)

Unknown said...

This is looking so pretty. I have worked at Plastic card printing company and this design inspire me so much. Thanks for sharing this adorable creation.