Monday, November 5, 2012

Slightly Steampunk Christmas Card

It's my day to post on the Make It Crafty blog.  Do you struggle with backgrounds?  I admit that most of my images are just on a white background.  Of course, you can always add a MIC background and color it, which turn out fantastic.  When I saw this Steampunk Santa, I knew that I wanted to have him on a dark blue background.  I also didn't want to use tons of ink to get a really smooth background.  I started by coloring the background with B29.  I only laid down one layer of color and you can see that it's darker in some areas.



 Next, I took colorless blender and put it on a small piece of terry cloth cut from an old towel.  I dabbed the towel all over the background to create even more light and dark areas.  This way, I think the background doesn't have to be colored evenly and still gives a great effect.  I think it looks like the night sky with snow falling in the background.

 Here's my finished card.  I used Y28 to color most of the sleigh.  I really like this marker as it gives a really gold color.  I added a flower with a gear center for my slightly Steampunk Christmas card.



Supplies
Copics

Happy Crafting!
post signature

2 comments:

Rhonda Miller said...

What a great card. I love the image and your coloring.

Chris said...

Jen, this is a riot! I love that image and your cog is perfect for it.
Hugs,
Chris