Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Using Templates in iScrapbook 2: Adding elements and shadows

Hi all!  I use iScrapbook on my Mac to create my digital scrapbooking layouts.  At Brownie Scraps, there are a series of challenges - Level 1and Level 2 - for learning digital scrapbooking.  I'm going to create a series of tutorials using iScrapbook for the Level 1 and Level 2 challenges.  I hope they're helpful.

For all of these tutorials, I'm using The Little Things by Bella Gypsy and 3 Photo Vol 1 by Memory Clips.  You'll want the .png files for the template.

Challenge 3 is adding shadows and elements.  You'll want to start with the first tutorial - adding papers.

I'm starting with my layout from the first tutorial.  First, I'm going to add shadows to the papers.  Then, I'll add two elements and add shadows to them.  I'm using the .png files slightly out of order for these challenges.  Normally, I would add each .png file in the order of the template, add shadows or other effects, and then move on to the next layer.

Here's my starting layout:

Step 1. Add shadows to papers.  Select the paper and expand the drop down menu by clicking on the arrow.  Select shadow.

Step 1b.  Select the box next to "Shadow."  I typically use an angle of 30 degrees, which you can adjust by moving the dot around the circle.  You want to use the same angle for all shadows.  For papers, I typically use Offset = 3, Blur = 3, Opacity = 50%.  Offset and blur are the default values.  If the papers have several element layers underneath them, you may want to increase the offset and blur.  I like to make the blur value one number greater than the offset.

Step 1c.  Add shadows to all the paper pieces.  Usually, I would do this as I added each piece to the layout.

Step 2. Adding an element.  Add the template piece following Step 4 in the first tutorial.  I've moved the template piece under the papers by pressing +[.  This is the order the template pieces should be in.  The first element is a bracket.  This is not a default shape in iScrapbook, so you have a few options.  If your kit has a bracket in it, you can use it for this element.  If you don't have a bracket, you can use a scalloped edge, ribbon, or banner.  You can pull the shape into another program, like PSE, and create a paper version of it {I won't describe that here}.  Finally, you don't have to use it.  You are free to alter the template.

Step 2b. The template I'm using has a bracket in the alpha.  I've added it to the layout by double clicking on it.

Step 2c. Rotate the bracket to point downward.  Click on the bracket.  Click on the arrow.  Select Rotation.  Adjust the dot on the circle until the bracket points down.

Step 2d.  Move the bracket to overlay the template piece and resize to the template.  You want to be careful about enlarging elements as you can make the elements blurry if you make them too large.

Step 2e. Add a shadow to the element using step 1b.  For paper elements, I typically use angle = 30 degrees, Offset = 3, Blur = 3, Opacity = 50%.

Step 2f. Delete the template piece by clicking on it and pressing "delete."

{I added in the photo placeholders using the directions for adding shapes in the first tutorial.  We'll talk about how to add photos in a later tutorial.}

Step 3. Leaf elements.  The next template piece is a leaf element.  I added the template piece and the corresponding element using the directions above.  For leaf elements,  I typically use angle = 30 degrees, Offset = 4, Blur = 5, Opacity = 50% for the shadow settings.  These are my default settings for  non-paper elements.

Step 4. Add a flower. I've added a flower using the steps above.  You want to take care to select a flower that is as large or larger than the template flower.  If you make a flower (or other element) too large, it can become blurry.  For flat-ish flowers, especially those under paper elements,  I typically use angle = 30 degrees, Offset = 4, Blur = 5, Opacity = 50% for the shadow settings.  If your flower has papers layered over it, you want to think about how "thick" your flower is.  I would avoid flowers that are very dimensional, like rolled paper flowers.

This tutorial has covered basic shadowing and adding elements.  Here's my layout so far:



I'll be back with more tutorials.

Happy Scrapping!

post signature

1 comment:

Alyce Kit and Clowder said...

Oooh fabby tutorial Jen! I have never done this befor ebut looks quite interesting... :)